Thought Archive

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Forever




The time has come to declare that the modern society will never get rid of religion as practiced in any forms. We just have to distinguish between tradional and novel forms of it. People will pray, will live and continue to expect salvation for generations to come. Science and pure cold reason will never threaten most of humanity; humanists and fundamentalist atheists. have to beware they are going against basic human needs and desires. You will take one idol, and we believe in another. Globalization is no exception as this quoute says it all:


The greatest religion, the one which generates our whole way of life and – ncreasingly – death, is consumerism, the system by which we invest meaning and purpose in our purchases, center our dreams around them, measure our success by them. Interestingly, the capitalist acquisitiveness that we think of as materialistic has exploited our spiritual natures very effectively, albeit in a perverse way, and exploting our capacity for addiction at the same time.




4 comments:

NoolaBeulah said...

I accept that this is repeatedly said, and advertising certainly adopts this tone and that many buy magazines about folk that seem to spend their life in shops, but I do wonder how many people are really like this. I don't know a huge number of people, but I know no-one that fits this description. Isn't it just that more people than ever before have disposable income? And that therefore what looks like a frenzy of shopping is just more people doing what very few used to do?

Hazar Nesimi said...

I was in Manchester town center, and i think you and I maybe in a minority, or at least we are not trend-setters.

It well maybe that women worship their shoes and mutilate their bodies, because they have no other idols to worship? Nothing wrong in this ritualism of modern life - if there is a craving, there is food to match.

NoolaBeulah said...

The next time you're in Manchester, let me know. We can go to the Portico for lunch. I think you'd like it.

Vanny said...

Yes,I believe that is true for many people but not me.


For some reason, the old 'classical' religions still do it for me. I sincerely do not understand why people see so much ugliness and backwardness in them (including the terrorists and the Taliban).